The EtaPRO Bulk Point Wizard helps EtaPRO Administrators to add multiple acquired points at a single time. The Bulk Point Wizard is installed alongside the EtaPRO Data Interface. It can be found on the EtaPRO Server (the EtaPRO Data Interface is installed by default on the EtaPRO Server as part of EtaPRO 10.3) as well as anywhere else the EtaPRO Data Interface is installed. To run the wizard, click Start | EtaPRO 10 | EtaPRO Bulk Point Wizard.
Select the server and then select which EtaPRO Units to where points will be added. The Bulk Point Wizard will only show the EtaPRO Units where the user is an administrator.
Select from where the wizard will pull the new point information. If the point information is already in tabular format in a text file or CSV file, choose the File option. If the points are unknown, the wizard can attempt to search for them directly from the data source by selecting the Data Source option.
Most commonly, a list of new points has already been identified and generated in Excel or in a CSV or Text file. The EtaPRO Bulk Point Wizard will accept both CSV and TXT files as inputs.
The Wizard requires columns for the Point Name, Description and Engineering Units. Neither the order of the columns nor the name or existence of the column headers matter. Simply ensure that the proper file options are selected.
- Select File -- Specify or select a *.csv or *.txt file that contains a tabular list of the point.
- Header Row -- Select if the file contains a header row as the very first row. Otherwise the wizard will attempt to parse the very first row.
- Delimiters -- Select which characters the wizard should treat as delimiters or separators between the columns.
- File Layout Columns -- Set the order of which column corresponds to which point property.
- Encoding -- If the selected text file has been encoded with a different encoding, specify which encoding from the list. Otherwise the wizard will not be able to read the file.
Click the Next button to continue to the EPArchive Tag Settings.
From Data Source
The Data Source option provides the ability to search through select data sources for points. The Data Source option will only work under the following conditions:
- The EtaPRO Bulk Point Wizard is running on the same machine as an active EtaPRO Data Interface.
- The EtaPRO Bulk Point Wizard will only show the Interface Instances configured on the same machine and targeting the same EtaPRO Server the Bulk Point Wizard is also targeting.
- The EtaPRO Data Interface Type is:
Select the Interface Instance from the list and click Next.
Search for various OPC Items by navigating through the different branches of the OPC tree. Double-click on an OPC Item to add it to the selection list on the bottom right. The various properties of the OPC item are displayed in the top right. To remove an item from the selection list, double-click on the entry. Click Clear to completely clear the selection list.
The EtaPRO Bulk Point Wizard will try to connect through either the PI-SDK or the PI-AF-SDK, depending on what was configured in the selected Interface Instance. Click Connect to connect to the PI Server. In the Search box, type in an appropriate PI search filter string and then click Search to search the PI Server. Double-click on any PI Point to add it to the Selected Items list and then click Next to proceed.
Type in the credentials for the Source EtaPRO Server in the EtaPRO Connections group box and then click Connect to populate the list of EtaPRO Units on the right. Select the desired source EtaPRO Unit and then click on the Point Selection tab. To add points to the Point Selection list, double-click or click on the to add the selected items to the list.
EPArchive Tag Settings
The Archive Tag Settings page provides the tools to configure how the new Acquired EtaPRO Points will actually acquire their information. By setting the information on this page, the wizard will apply the properties here to each point. Each individual point can be further edited at a later step. However, experience has shown that a pattern can often be applied to collections of points.
- Instance -- Specify from which EtaPRO Data Interface Instance the new points will receive their data. Please note that this wizard does not create or add any EtaPRO Data Interfaces.
- Instance Type -- Specify the Instance Type from a collection of various data sources. The selection will change the mask applied to the Item Attributes. For further information about what to set for each Item Attribute, please refer to the EtaPRO Data Interface Manual.
- Instrument Id Formatting -- The default formula for the Instrument Id is simply the Point Name. However, some data sources require additional text to reference the actual process value. The Prefix and Suffix fields provide the ability to place additional text before or after the Point Name. The Example field shows the formula for Instrument Idea.
- Item Attributes -- The Item Attribute descriptions will change based upon the selected Instance Type. For information about each Item Attribute for each Instance Type, refer to the EtaPRO Data Interface Manual.
When adding points from a Data Source, some of the fields will be disabled and the rest will have be filled out automatically. The Item Attributes can be changed, however it is recommended to refer to the EtaPRO Data Interface Manual before making any changes.
Click Finish to begin Point Reconciliation.
Before points are added to EtaPRO, each point must have a unique Point Name as well as correctly formatted engineering units. The Point Reconciliation grid provides the opportunity to correct any issues with point names and engineering units.
Each row represents a new point that was either found in the file or selected from the Data Source. If there are no issues with any properties on the point, the Status field will read "Ready to Add". If there is an error with the name or the engineering units it will flag that row with "Error". The wizard will NOT attempt to add a point that has either a name or engineering unit error. To change the value on any editable field, click the cell and type or select the new value.
Resolving Name Errors
Within an EtaPRO unit, every point name must be unique. When adding many points in bulk, it is very simple to include a point that already exists inside of EtaPRO. It is also very easy to have a spelling mistake either on the new point or the existing point. To change the name of the point in the grid, simply click inside the cell and type in a new value. To delete, select the row and then press the Delete button on the keyboard.
- Good -- There is no issue with the name of the point.
- Already Exists -- The point already exists inside the target EtaPRO Unit. Review the point details or delete the entry.
- Duplicate -- Other points already exists somewhere in the list with the same point name. Each occurrence of the offending point name is flagged and the overall status is marked as Error.
Ensure that all name errors are resolved before continuing. Sort the grid by any field by clicking on the column headers, or group the grid by dragging the column header to the group panel.
Resolving Engineering Unit Errors
EtaPRO uses a set of specifically typed set of Engineering Units in order to perform unit conversions. The wizard enforces this rule by preventing a point from being added. To change the engineering units on an individual point, click on the EP Units cell for that point and select the proper engineering unit, just like when adding a point in the EtaPRO Client. If there are many engineering unit errors, this process becomes very tedious and repetitive. To manage this process in bulk, click Tools | Engineering Units | Fix All to bring up the Engineering Unit Correction form.
The Fix All option will scan through the entire list and find all of the unique engineering unit errors (even if there are 10 occurrences of 'DEG C' there will only be one entry). If a required engineering unit does not exist, please contact EtaPRO Support at EtaPROSupport@gpstrategies.com for help. If the point has no engineering units, click on the Corrected checkbox to set the engineering units to NA (Not Applicable). When finished, click OK to accept the corrections.
Submitting Points to EtaPRO
It is highly recommended to reconcile all of the points in the grid before submitting them to EtaPRO to add. To verify that there are no errors, check the Point Status column and ensure that every row says Ready to Add.
To submit all the points in the grid to EtaPRO to add, click Main | Submit to EtaPRO | Add All. The Bulk Point Wizard will crawl through the grid and attempt to add each point to EtaPRO.
If the point was successfully added, the Point Status will change to Added. If there was an error the field will read Error Adding. Once the points have been added, open up the EtaPRO Client and click on Reconfigure Unit or Reconfigure All.
Additional Tools and Features
Additional menu options are discussed below:
- Submit to EtaPRO
- Submit Selected -- Submit only the rows selected and Ready to Add to EtaPRO as new points to be added.
- Submit All -- Submit all of the rows that are Ready to Add to EtaPRO as new points to be added.
- Launch Wizard -- Re-launch the wizard to add more points to the grid.
- Exit -- Close the application.
- Submit to EtaPRO
- Engineering Units
- Accept Units -- Any Engineering Unit Errors will be cleared and 'NA' will be set as the engineering unit.
- Fix All -- Search through the entire grid to find all of the unique Engineering Unit Errors and present them for correction.
- Fix Selected -- Search through only the selected rows to find all of the unique Engineering Unit Errors and present them for correction.
- Change Selected -- For selected rows, re-associate unique Original Units with different EtaPRO Engineering Units.
- Select Highlighted -- Check the select checkbox for any highlighted row.
- Select All -- Check the select checkbox for all rows.
- Select None -- Uncheck the select checkbox for all rows.
- Update Acquisition Settings
- Update All -- Update the EPArchive Tag Settings for all rows.
- Update Selected -- Update the EPArchive Tag Settings for only the selected rows.
- Engineering Units
- Reset Columns -- Returns the visible columns and column order to the default presentation.
- Show All Columns -- Shows all of the columns, including all of the Item Attribute Columns.