These instructions are for EtaPRO Administrators upgrading to EtaPRO Version 10.3 from previous versions of EtaPRO. If you are upgrading within version 10.3, please refer to this article: https://issues.etapro.com/default.asp?W558.
Upgrade Preparation and Warnings
EtaPRO™ Version 10.3 introduces several changes that you should be aware of prior to upgrading. Some of these changes are summarized as follows:
- Before upgrading, make a backup of your configuration databases. During the EtaPRO 10.3 upgrade process, updates made to your configuration databases are not backward compatible. Refer to the please refer to the Scheduling EtaPRO 10.x Backup Tasks (http://issues.etapro.com/default.asp?W17) article for instructions on making a backup of your configuration databases.
- EtaPRO 10.3 uses the Microsoft® .NET Framework Version 4.6.1. Please review the Microsoft .NET Framework System Requirements article at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8z6watww.aspx before beginning the upgrade. The minimum server operating system for .NET 4.6.1 is Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (NOTE: .NET 4.6.1 will not install on Windows Server 2008 SP2 or earlier operating systems). It may be necessary to install .NET 4.6.1 using the Server Roles tool - for new servers, make sure the install files are available.
- EtaPRO 10.3 requires a new Product Key if you are upgrading from EtaPRO 10.2 or if you are implementing new licensed features. Before uninstalling your current version of EtaPRO, please contact GP Strategies for a new license key (firstname.lastname@example.org or 716.799.1077).
- EtaPRO 10.3 requires an EPArchive™ database even if you are not storing historical data in EPArchive. After the upgrade you can create a blank EPArchive database using the tool in the EtaPRO Service Manager or you can download a blank database from the support site (https://support.etapro.com/). You can only create a database if SQL Server® is installed on the same computer as EtaPRO. If you do not have permissions to create a SQL Server database, you need to contact your corporate DBA for assistance.
- When you upgrade to EtaPRO 10.3 from EtaPRO 10.x, all historical data stored in your existing APR Asset database will be automatically moved to your EPArchive database. This process can take a significant amount of time. How long will depend on the number of EtaPRO APR™ assets you have, how long they been in service, etc. In general, the process can take many hours. You should plan to do the upgrade during a period when availability of your system is not critical.
- If your EtaPRO system is using Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express or later and APR and/or EPArchive, be advised that Microsoft has set a 10GB file size limitation (SQL 2005 and 2008 Express have a 4GB limit). SQL Server that is purchased and fully licensed from Microsoft do not have this limitation. If your APR and/or EPArchive database file size is close to these limits, you will need to contact EtaPRO Support before proceeding with the upgrade.
- Data acquisition has gone through a major change. All data is now acquired using stand-alone EtaPRO Data Interfaces. Your system will be automatically upgraded to use the new interfaces. It is suggested that you review the EtaPRO Data Interface Installation Configuration Manual (http://issues.etapro.com/default.asp?W514) prior to upgrading.
- EtaPRO communicates with several other processes, applications, and possibly servers. It is essential that you know all usernames/passwords required for these connections before beginning the upgrade. This would include SQL Server usernames/passwords, Windows Services "Log On As" accounts, and EtaPRO usernames/passwords (for remotely installed interfaces).
Please review this entire document, referenced articles, and EtaPRO Release Notes and contact EtaPRO Support with any questions before beginning the upgrade! Also be advised that EtaPRO upgrades require the existing version of EtaPRO be uninstalled before the new version can be installed.
Hardware and Software Prerequisites
- Must meet published requirements for running Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8z6watww.aspx)
- Mid-level Dell PowerEdge or Hewlett-Packard server
- Quad Core 2-GHz Intel Pentium Xeon or better processor (for larger EtaPRO systems, failure to meet this specification may result in slow-response to EtaPRO commands)*
- 500-GB drives arranged in a RAID arrangement (two or more drives required)
- 8-GB RAM (this is a minimum requirement, additional RAM is encouraged)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (5 users) or later
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 or later
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express or later for EtaPRO System or Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard or later for EtaPRO APR or EPArchive
- Historian SDK and/or API
- Microsoft Office 2010 Professional or later is recommended (32 bit version)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.0 or later
- Redundant power supply
- Backup System (device capable of backing up the historian databases and EtaPRO System files)
* If any of the "EP10" processes are maxing out or competing for CPU, additional cores are needed.
Must meet published requirements for running Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 Client Profile and the .NET Framework 4.6.1 installation requirements ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8z6watww.aspx)
- 1 GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- 200-MB free hard drive space
- 1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
- Microsoft Windows 7 or better
- Microsoft Office 2010 or better (32 bit version)
Check the version of Windows on the server. Open Control Panel|All Control Panel Items|System on the EtPRO server. (see Figure 1). If your EtaPRO server is still using Windows 2003 and earlier, you will not be able to upgrade.
Figure 1. Control Panel
Are you an Administrator of the server/client workstations? EtaPRO upgrades should only be performed by those with Administrator rights.
Confirm the current EtaPRO Server and Client versions. These instructions only apply to upgrades from Version 10.1.x or 10.2.x to 10.3.x. Beginning with EtaPRO 10.3.5 - this information can be viewed directly from the EtaPRO Client Status Bar (see Figure 5b).
Right-click the EtaPRO icon located in the System Tray of your EtaPRO server and select the About… menu command. If the icon is not visible, launch the EtaPRO Service Manager from the Start menu and the icon will appear (see Figure 2). The About EtaPRO Server dialog displays showing the current EtaPRO Server software version (see Figure 3).
Figure 2. EtaPRO Service Manager Shortcut Menu
Figure 3. About EtaPRO Server
Select the Help|About EtaPRO menu command (see Figure 4). The About EtaPRO Client dialog displays showing the current EtaPRO Client software version (see Figure 5a).
Figure 4. Client Help Menu
Figure 5a. About EtaPRO Client
Figure 5b. EtaPRO Server and Client Version in EtaPRO Client Status Bar
Open the EtaPRO Service Manager and record the EtaPRO Server Service Account type and credentials, if applicable. Click Configuration Settings| Miscellaneous|Configure Server Service Account (see Figure 6). Note: When EtaPRO is installed, by default, its service accounts are configured to run as SYSTEM. If your EtaPRO Services or EtaPRO Data Interface Service run as a specific Windows account (to acquire data from an OPC or Wonderware/eDNA server for example), you will need to record the Domain, Username, and Password before uninstalling EtaPRO - when EtaPRO is uninstalled, the services and account definitions are removed. They will need to be updated again when the new version of EtaPRO is installed.
Following the upgrade from 10.1 or 10.2 to 10.3, EtaPRO systems using OPC or Wonderware/eDNA will need to change the "Log On As" account for the EtaPRO Data Interface Service to the same account previously used for the EtaPRO 10.2 services. For EtaPRO 10.3 systems in which the EtaPRO Data Interface is installed locally, the EtaPRO Services can run as the default Local System account. If the EtaPRO Data Interface is installed on a remote computer, you will need the service account username/password for the historian connection from EtaPRO. You may also need to adjust DCOM settings.
Figure 6. EtaPRO Service Manager Miscellaneous Tab
Click the Database tab and record SQL Server Username and Password that will be entered later (see Figure 7). Consult your site SQL database administrator if you do not know the SQL Server Password. Do not proceed with the upgrade until you have learned these credentials. (When SQL Server is installed by GP Strategies, the default “sa” password is “Changeme1!”). If the SQL account used by EtaPRO does not have db_owner role membership on each EtaPRO database, the upgrade may not be successful.
Database Security Mode: _______________________________________________________________________
Figure 7. EtaPRO Service Manager Database Tab
- Record the software installation directory on the EtaPRO Server. This is typically C:\Programs Files (x86)\General Physics Corporation. You will need to know the location when you install the new version.
EtaPRO Software Installation Directory: _______________________________________________________________________________
Before you stop EtaPRO services, determine if any EtaPRO Clients are connected. If so, notify users before shutting down/upgrading.
You can check for connected EtaPRO users by generating the EPTransfer Error Log Report. Open the EtaPRO Client and click Configuration Tools|Error Log to display the Error Log Report window. Enable just the EPTransfer Component checkbox. Change the Starting On and Ending On dates so that the previous 24 hours are displayed in the report. Click Select All to choose all the Selected Entry Types. (see Figure 8).
Figure 8. Error Log Report
- Click Generate Report to view any recent connections (see Figure 9)
Figure 9. Error Report Preview
Please take note of the current condition of EtaPRO so that after the upgrade, you can determine if the upgrade caused any additional problems.
In the EtaPRO Client, click Quality Alarms button on the EtaPRO toolbar (see Figure 10). Record any bad field status or data acquisition failure alarms.
Figure 10. Quality Alarms Screen
Click Configuration Tools|Online VirtualPlant Models to display the VirtualPlant Models dialog and then click the Status tab. Confirm that all VirtualPlant models are converging (see Figure 11). Record any that are not.
Figure 11. VirtualPlant Model Status
View several Concerns Viewer trends, if installed (see Figure 12). Make sure asset trend data is available and updating.
Figure 12. Asset Trend
View several pop-up trends by single-clicking on both some acquired and calculated data points. Make sure trend/archive data is available and updating (see Figure 13).
Figure 13. Popup Trend
- All instances of Microsoft Excel® must be stopped.
- Reconfigure all units to push through any pending changes. Wait for the reconfiguration to complete before shutting down any services.
Shutting Down the EtaPRO Client and Server Software
Close the EtaPRO Client using the Options|Exit menu command or clicking the X in the upper right corner of the application.
Open the EtaPRO Services Manager from the Start menu. Click the Stop All Services button. Wait until you see that all the services have stopped (see Figure 14). Close the service manager after all of the services have stopped. If you have configured dependencies from/to EtaPRO services from other applications or services, they should also be stopped to prevent EtaPRO Services from automatically restarting.
Figure 14. EtaPRO Service Manager - All Services Stopped
- If you are using an EtaPRO Data Interface, it should be stopped. Open the EtaPRO Data Interface Service Manager from the Start menu. Click the Stop button. Wait until you see that it has stopped (see Figure 15). Close the data interface service manager after the data interface service has stopped.
Figure 15. EtaPRO Data Interface Service Manager - Stopped
Locating Database Backups and Uninstalling the EtaPRO Server and Client
- Confirm the location of the EtaPRO database backups (see Figure 16).
Figure 16. Typical Backup Folder Location
Verify that backups are recent. If no backups can be found, please refer to the Scheduling EtaPRO 10.x Backup Tasks (http://issues.etapro.com/default.asp?W17) article and run the EtaPRO Database Backup Utility before proceeding. Contact GP Strategies (email@example.com or 716.799.1077) with any questions about using this utility. If SQL Server is not installed on the same computer as EtaPRO, contact your corporate DBA to verify that current database backups exist before you proceed with the upgrade. Verify that the backups can be restored before proceeding with the upgrade.
Be aware that the EtaPRO software suite includes several Microsoft Excel add-ins. As such, all instances of Microsoft Excel should be shut down before uninstalling the EtaPRO Client.
Uninstall the EtaPRO Client and EtaPRO Server software using the Control Panel|All Control Panel Items|Program Features|Uninstall or Change A Program feature. In addition, uninstall the EtaPRO Data Interface software if installed (see Figure 17).
NOTE: If you are moving EtaPRO to a new physical or virtual server, contact GP Strategies (firstname.lastname@example.org or 716.799.1077) for assistance.
Figure 17. Uninstall or Change a Program
Installing the EtaPRO Server and Client
NOTE: If you have upgraded from EtaPRO 10.1 or 10.2, you will need a new product license key. Please contact GP Strategies for a new license key (email@example.com or 716.799.1077) before beginning the upgrade process.
Download the latest server and client software from the EtaPRO Support site (http://support.etapro.com).
Start the installation of the EtaPRO Server and its prerequisites by double-clicking the EtaPRO_Server_Setup.exe file located in your downloaded EtaPRO Server installation files directory.
The installation begins giving you the option to install SQL Server Express 2014. It is not necessary to upgrade your SQL Server 2008 R2 or 2012 versions for compatibility with EtaPRO 10.3. If you do not want to install SQL Server 2014 Express on your EtaPRO server, disable the Install SQL Server Express checkbox. Enable the I agree to the license terms and conditions checkbox and then click Install to continue (see Figure 18).
Figure 18. EtaPRO 10.3 Server Setup
- The installation will proceed installing SQL Server, if selected, and then prepares to install the EtaPRO Data Interfaces (see Figure 19). As shown in Figures 20 - 24, when the EtaPRO Data Interface Setup Wizard displays, click Next to continue. Accept the terms in the license agreement and click Next to continue. At the Custom Setup, all the EtaPRO Data Interfaces will be installed. Refer to the EtaPRO Data Interfaces Installation Configuration Manual (http://issues.etapro.com/default.asp?W514) for detailed information about the EtaPRO Data Interfaces. Click Next to continue and click Install. When the installation is complete, click Finish to continue.
As shown in Figures 25 - 30, when the EtaPRO 10.3 Server Setup Wizard displays, click Next to continue. Accept the terms in the license agreement and click Next to continue. At the Destination Folder, you can change the default folder by clicking the Change button. Otherwise, click Next to continue and then Install. When the installation is complete, click Finish to continue. A message displays confirming the completion of the installation. Click Close.
Start the installation of the EtaPRO Client and its prerequisites by double-clicking the EtaPRO_Client_Setup.exe file located in your downloaded EtaPRO Client installation files directory.
As shown in Figures 31 - 39, click Install to continue to begin the installation. Enable the I agree to the license terms and conditions checkbox and then. When the EtaPRO 10.3 Client Setup Wizard displays, click Next to continue. Accept the terms in the license agreement and click Next to continue. At the Destination Folder, you can change the default folder by clicking the Change button. Otherwise, click Next to continue and then Install. When the installation is complete, click Finish to continue. A message displays confirming the completion of the installation. Click Close.
Starting the EtaPRO Services and Upgrading Databases
Launch the EtaPRO Service Manager from the Start menu (see Figure 40).
Figure 40. EtaPRO Service Manager
Click the Configuration Settings button to open the Configuration Settings dialog and select the Registration tab (see Figure 41). (If you have installed EtaPRO to new hardware, this tab will open for you automatically).
Figure 41. EtaPRO Service Manager - Registration Tab
Enter the new EtaPRO 10.3 Product Key and activate the software. If you need assistance to manually activate EtaPRO, please refer to the Manual Activation of EtaPRO and Enabling APR (http://issues.etapro.com/default.asp?W19) article. Please note that if you have not purchased EtaPRO APR or EPArchive licenses APR and EPArchive will be enabled with Limited licenses. If you need a description of the features associated with a limited license, please refer to the License Limitations - Limited vs Full (http://issues.etapro.com/default.asp?W527) article.
Select the Miscellaneous tab and confirm the correct Historian Type, Directory Paths, Debug Level, etc. (see Figure 42). Contact GP Strategies (firstname.lastname@example.org or 716.799.1077) with any questions about these settings.
NOTE The Upgrade Databases Automatically on Startup checkbox is enabled by default. If you do not have permissions to upgrade the SQL databases.
Figure 42. EtaPRO Service Manager - Miscellaneous Tab
Select the Databases tab and confirm the selection of the correct Site, EPLog, Assets (where applicable), EPArchive, and Predictor (where applicable) databases. The Database Security Mode and SQL Server Username and Password recorded prior to the upgrade should be selected/entered here.
All EtaPRO 10.3 systems require an EPArchive database. If you are upgrading a system that does not have one, you will need to either create one or download a blank database from the support site (https://support.etapro.com/) before you can start the EtaPRO server. You can only create a database if SQL Server is installed on the same computer as EtaPRO.
To create a database, enter a SQL Server Username and Password with permissions to create databases and then click Refresh Databases (see Figure 43).
Figure 43. EtaPRO Service Manager - Databases Tab
Open the EPArchive tab and select the Create new database option... from the Select an Archive Database dropdown menu (see Figure 44).
Figure 44. EtaPRO Service Manager - EPArchive Tab
The Create Archive Database dialog display (see Figure 45). Enter a Database Name and a File Path where the database files should be created. Click Create to finish the process.
Figure 45. EtaPRO Service Manager - EPArchive Tab
If SQL Server is not installed on the same computer as EtaPRO, you will need to manually download an EPArchive database from the EtaPRO support site and attach it to the SQL Server instance used by EtaPRO. Please see your corporate DBA for assistance doing this. EtaPRO will require database owner privileges on all of the databases it is using.
EPArchive maintains some of its data outside of the SQL Server database. A storage directory path must be provided in addition to a SQL Server database (see Figure 46). A new directory on the server’s data drive is recommended (e.g., D:\EtaPROFiles\EPArchive).
IMPORTANT! If you are upgrading a system that was previously using EPArchive, do not modify the storage path or you will lose previously archived historical data.
Figure 46. EtaPRO Service Manager - EPArchive Tab
Close the Configuration Settings dialog and return to the EtaPRO Service Manager. Click the Start All Services button. The previous databases will need to be upgraded. The upgrade will fail if the system is configured to require manual database upgrades. (see Figure 47).
Figure 47. EtaPRO Service Manager
If the system is configured to automatically upgrade databases, you will immediately be presented with the Manual Database Upgrade dialog (see Figure 48). Enter the SQL Server Username and Password recorded prior to the upgrade and then click Connect and then Upgrade Selected Databases.
Figure 48. Manual Database Upgrade
If the system is configured to require manual database upgrades, click Configuration Settings|Miscellaneous|Upgrade Databases (see Figure 49).
Figure 49. EtaPRO Service Manager - Miscellaneous Tab
The Manual Database Upgrade dialog displays. will be displayed (see Figure 48). Enter the SQL Server Username and Password recorded prior to the upgrade and then click Upgrade Selected Databases.
The following warning message displays (see Figure 50). Again, if you have not already done so, please refer to the Scheduling EtaPRO 10x Backup Tasks (http://issues.etapro.com/default.asp?W17) article to schedule and run an EtaPRO database backup. Verify that a valid recent backup exists.
Figure 50. EtaPRO Service Manager - Miscellaneous Tab
Enable the “I understand…” check box, enter your initials, and then click Upgrade. A progress bar displays at the bottom of the window (see Figure 51). If you are upgrading an EtaPRO system which includes EPArchive, this might be a good time for a coffee break as the upgrade could take a considerable amount of time (hours). Should any databases fail to upgrade, please contact GP Strategies (email@example.com or 716.799.1077).
IMPORTANT! Do not interrupt the upgrade process once it has started. Interrupting the upgrade will result in non-recoverable, corrupted databases.
Figure 51. Manual Database Upgrade in Progress
When the Status indicates “Database Upgraded!” for ALL databases (see Figure 52), click the X in the upper right corner to close the Manual Database Upgrade dialog and return to the Configuration Settings Miscellaneous Tab.
Figure 52. Manual Database Upgrade in Progress
If a specific EtaPRO Server Service Account was used, click the Configure Server Service Account button and enter the domain, username and password information recorded prior to the upgrade.
Click OK to close the Configuration Settings dialog and return to the EtaPRO Service Manager. Click the Start All Services button.
When the “Started and initialized successfully!” message appears, enable the Auto-start services when OS starts checkbox. If you are prompted with a message box asking to enable automatic startups, click Yes.
For EtaPRO 10.3, all data is acquired using a stand-alone data interface. If you are using either PI or OPC HDA as your primary historian, a data interface instance will automatically be created and your database updated to use it. Start the data interface using the EtaPRO Data Interface Configuration Manager. Note that it may take 2-5 minutes after you start the data interface before live data appears in your EtaPRO Client. Prior to displaying live data, all points will be in bad field status alarm or in data acquisition failure. If the system fails to acquire data, use the EtaPRO client to reconfigure all data units and then wait an additional 2-5 minutes. If problems persist, stop and restart both the EtaPRO server and the EtaPRO data interface. If the system still does not acquire data, contact GP Strategies (firstname.lastname@example.org or 716.799.1077) for assistance.
Starting the EtaPRO Client and Post-Upgrade Checks
Start the EtaPRO Client from the Start menu. If you are using EtaPRO Authentication, please enter your username and password.
Check the Quality Alarm screen for any new alarms and confirm that all popup and asset trends are functional, VirtualPlant models are converging, etc., as described in the Pre-shutdown/Pre-uninstall Checklist Step 7 of this article.
Click Configuration Tools|Online VirtualPlant Models to display the VirtualPlant Models dialog and then click the Status tab. Confirm that all VirtualPlant models are still converging (see Figure 11).
View several Concerns Viewer trends, if installed (see Figure 12). Make sure asset trend data is available and that the asset trends continue to update.
Click Configuration Tools|Error Log to display the Error Log Report dialog. Enable all the Component checkboxes. Change the Starting On and Ending On dates so that the previous 24 hours are displayed in the report. Click Select All to choose all the Selected Entry Types. Click Generate Report to review any potential post-upgrade errors. Report any observed issues or errors to GP Strategies (email@example.com or 716.799.1077). Include a pdf copy of the error report.
Reset the EtaPRO Database Backup task, if necessary. Refer to the Scheduling EtaPRO 10x Backup Tasks (http://issues.etapro.com/default.asp?W17) article for instructions on using the EtaPRO Database Backup Utility. If you are using EPArchive to storing historical data, make sure that the backup procedure is updated to backup the EPArchive files in addition to the database files. This should be done even if the database backups are not being scheduled using the EtaPRO database backup utility (see Figure 53).
Figure 53. EtaPRO Database Backup Utility
We love to talk to our customers and we like to help you avoid pitfalls, so if you are unclear about any procedures outlined in this document, please contact EtaPRO Support at firstname.lastname@example.org or 716-799-1077 before proceeding with the upgrade.