These instructions are for EtaPRO™ Administrators upgrading to EtaPRO Version 10.4 from EtaPRO 10.X. If you are upgrading from an earlier version of EtaPRO (9.2 or older), please contact EtaPRO Support for assistance.
Please review the entire document before beginning the upgrade. If you have any questions about these procedures, contact EtaPRO Support.
- Upgrade Preparation and Warnings
- Hardware and Software Prerequisites
- Pre-shutdown/Pre-uninstall Checklist
- Shutting Down the EtaPRO Client and Server Software
- Installing the EtaPRO Server
- Installing the EtaPRO Data Interface
- Installing the EtaPRO Client
- Manually Upgrading EtaPRO Databases
- EtaPRO or Data Interface Service Accounts
- Start EtaPRO 10.4
- Starting the EtaPRO Client and Post-Upgrade Checks
EtaPRO Version 10.4 introduces several changes that you should be aware of prior to upgrading. Some of these changes are summarized as follows:
- EtaPRO 10.4 requires a new Product Key. Before stopping and uninstalling your current version of EtaPRO, please contact GP Strategies for a new Product Key (firstname.lastname@example.org or 716.799.1077). A previously provided EtaPRO 10.3 Product Key will not work with EtaPRO 10.4. You cannot start EtaPRO 10.4 unless a new Product Key has been entered and activated.
- If your EtaPRO system is using Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Express or later with EtaPRO APR™ (Advanced Pattern Recognition) and/or EPArchive™, be advised that Microsoft has set a 10GB file size limitation (SQL 2005 and 2008 Express have a 4GB limit). SQL Server that is purchased and fully licensed from Microsoft does not have this limitation. If your Asset and/or EPArchive database file size is close to these limits, you will need to contact EtaPRO Support before proceeding with the upgrade.
- If your EtaPRO system has EtaPRO APR enabled, you will be required to create a new Issue Tracking database. Details can be found in the instructions below. If SQL Server is installed to the same computer as EtaPRO Server, you can create a new database using the EtaPRO Service Manager, but the SQL account used must have db_creator rights. As an alternative, blank EtaPRO 10.4 databases can be downloaded from the EtaPRO Support website at https://etaprosupport.com.
- Before upgrading, make a backup of your configuration databases. During the EtaPRO 10.4 upgrade process, updates made to your configuration databases are not backward compatible. Refer to the please refer to the Scheduling EtaPRO 10.x Backup Tasks (http://issues.etapro.com/default.asp?W17) article for instructions on making a backup of your configuration databases. You may also wish to verify and confirm the location of the backup files after creation.
- EtaPRO 10.4 (and EtaPRO 10.3) uses the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 4.6.1. Please review the Microsoft .NET Framework System Requirements article at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8z6watww.aspx before beginning the upgrade. The minimum server operating system for .NET 4.6.1 is Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (NOTE: .NET 4.6.1 will not install on Windows Server 2008 SP2 or earlier operating systems). It may be necessary to install .NET 4.6.1 using the Server Roles tool - for new servers, make sure the install files are available.
- EtaPRO 10.4 (and EtaPRO 10.3) requires an EPArchive database even if you are not storing historical data in EPArchive. After the upgrade you can create a blank EPArchive database using the tool in the EtaPRO Service Manager or you can download a blank database from the support site (https://support.etapro.com/). You can only create a database if SQL Server is installed on the same computer as EtaPRO. If you do not have permissions to create a SQL Server database, you need to contact your corporate DBA for assistance.
- When you upgrade to EtaPRO 10.4 from EtaPRO 10.0, 10.1, or 10.2, all historical data stored in your existing APR Asset database will be automatically moved to your EPArchive database. This process can take a significant amount of time. How long will depend on the number of EtaPRO APR assets you have, how long they been in service, etc. In general, the process can take many hours. You should plan to do the upgrade during a period when availability of your system is not critical.
- Beginning with EtaPRO 10.3, data acquisition has gone through a major change. All data is now acquired using stand-alone EtaPRO Data Interfaces. Your system will be automatically upgraded to use the new interfaces. It is suggested that you review the EtaPRO Data Interface Installation Configuration Manual (http://issues.etapro.com/default.asp?W514) prior to upgrading.
- EtaPRO communicates with several other processes, applications, and possibly servers. It is essential that you know all usernames/passwords required for these connections before beginning the upgrade. This would include SQL Server usernames/passwords, Windows Services "Log On As" accounts, and EtaPRO usernames/passwords (for remotely installed interfaces). It is important to know the physical location of data sources in the event that troubleshooting needs to be done on remote interfaces.
Please review this entire document, referenced articles, and EtaPRO Release Notes and contact EtaPRO Support with any questions before beginning the upgrade! Also be advised that EtaPRO upgrades require the existing version of EtaPRO be uninstalled before the new version can be installed.
- Must meet published requirements for running Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8z6watww.aspx)
- Mid-level Dell PowerEdge or Hewlett-Packard server
- Quad Core 2-GHz Intel Pentium Xeon or better processor (for larger EtaPRO systems, failure to meet this specification may result in slow-response to EtaPRO commands)*
- 500-GB drives arranged in a RAID arrangement (two or more drives required)
- 8-GB RAM (this is a minimum requirement, additional RAM is encouraged)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (5 users) or later
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 or later
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express or later for EtaPRO System or Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard or later for EtaPRO APR or EPArchive
- Historian SDK and/or API
- Microsoft Office 2010 Professional or later is recommended (32 bit version)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.0 or later
- Redundant power supply
- Backup System (device capable of backing up the historian databases and EtaPRO System files)
* If any of the "EP10" processes are maxing out or competing for CPU, additional cores are needed.
Must meet published requirements for running Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 Client Profile and the .NET Framework 4.6.1 installation requirements ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8z6watww.aspx)
- 1 GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- 200-MB free hard drive space
- 1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
- Microsoft Windows 7 or better
- Microsoft Office 2010 or better (32 bit version)
Check the version of Windows on the server. Open Control Panel|All Control Panel Items|System on the EtPRO server. (see Figure 1). If your EtaPRO server is still using Windows 2003 and earlier, you will not be able to upgrade.
Figure 1. Control Panel
Are you an Administrator of the server/client workstations? EtaPRO upgrades should only be performed by those with Administrator rights.
Confirm the current EtaPRO Server and Client versions. These instructions only apply to upgrades from Version 10.1.x or 10.2.x or 10.3.x. Beginning with EtaPRO 10.3.5 - this information can be viewed directly from the EtaPRO Client Status Bar (see Figure 5b).
Right-click the EtaPRO icon located in the System Tray of your EtaPRO server and select the About… menu command. If the icon is not visible, launch the EtaPRO Service Manager from the Start menu and the icon will appear (see Figure 2). The About EtaPRO Server dialog displays showing the current EtaPRO Server software version (see Figure 3).
Figure 2. EtaPRO Service Manager Shortcut Menu
Figure 3. About EtaPRO Server
Select the Help|About EtaPRO menu command (see Figure 4). The About EtaPRO Client dialog displays showing the current EtaPRO Client software version (see Figure 5a).
Figure 4. Client Help Menu
Figure 5a. About EtaPRO Client
Figure 5b. EtaPRO Server and Client Version in EtaPRO Client Status Bar
Open the EtaPRO Service Manager and record the EtaPRO Server Service Account type and credentials, if applicable. Click Configuration Settings| Miscellaneous|Configure Server Service Account (see Figure 6).
Note: When EtaPRO is installed, by default, its service accounts are configured to run as SYSTEM. If your EtaPRO Services or EtaPRO Data Interface Service run as a specific Windows account (to acquire data from an OPC or Wonderware/eDNA server for example), you will need to record the Domain, Username, and Password before uninstalling EtaPRO - when EtaPRO is uninstalled, the services and account definitions are removed. They will need to be updated again when the new version of EtaPRO is installed.
Figure 6. EtaPRO Service Manager Miscellaneous Tab
Following the upgrade from 10.1 or 10.2, EtaPRO systems using OPC or Wonderware/eDNA will need to change the "Log On As" account for the EtaPRO Data Interface Service to the same account previously used for the EtaPRO 10.2 services. For EtaPRO 10.4 systems in which the EtaPRO Data Interface is installed locally, the EtaPRO Services can run as the default Local System account. If the EtaPRO Data Interface is installed on a remote computer, you will need the service account username/password for the historian connection from EtaPRO. You may also need to adjust DCOM settings.
Click the Database tab and record SQL Server Username and Password that will be entered later (see Figure 7). Consult your site SQL database administrator if you do not know the SQL Server Password. Do not proceed with the upgrade until you have learned these credentials. (When SQL Server is installed by GP Strategies, the default “sa” password is “Changeme1!”). If the SQL account used by EtaPRO does not have db_owner role membership on each EtaPRO database, the upgrade may not be successful.
Database Security Mode: _______________________________________________________________________
Figure 7. EtaPRO Service Manager Database Tab
- Record the software installation directory on the EtaPRO Server. This is typically C:\Programs Files (x86)\General Physics Corporation. You will need to know the location when you install the new version.
EtaPRO Software Installation Directory: _______________________________________________________________________________
Before you stop EtaPRO services, determine if any EtaPRO Clients are connected. If so, notify users before shutting down/upgrading.
You can check for connected EtaPRO users by generating the EPTransfer Error Log Report. Open the EtaPRO Client and click Configuration Tools|Error Log to display the Error Log Report window. Enable just the EPTransfer Component checkbox. Change the Starting On and Ending On dates so that the previous 24 hours are displayed in the report. Click Select All to choose all the Selected Entry Types. (see Figure 8).
Figure 8. Error Log Report
- Click Generate Report to view any recent connections (see Figure 9)
Figure 9. Error Report Preview
Please take note of the current condition of EtaPRO so that after the upgrade, you can determine if the upgrade caused any additional problems.
In the EtaPRO Client, click Quality Alarms button on the EtaPRO toolbar (see Figure 10). Record any bad field status or data acquisition failure alarms.
Figure 10. Quality Alarms Screen
Click Configuration Tools|Online VirtualPlant Models to display the VirtualPlant Models dialog and then click the Status tab. Confirm that all VirtualPlant models are converging (see Figure 11). Record any that are not.
Figure 11. VirtualPlant Model Status
View several Concerns Viewer trends, if installed (see Figure 12). Make sure asset trend data is available and updating.
Figure 12. Asset Trend
View several pop-up trends by single-clicking on both some acquired and calculated data points. Make sure trend/archive data is available and updating (see Figure 13).
Figure 13. Popup Trend
- All instances of Microsoft Excel® must be stopped.
- Reconfigure all units to push through any pending changes. Wait for the reconfiguration to complete before shutting down any services.
- Stop all EtaPRO Services using the EtaPRO Service Manager. When services have stopped, close the EtaPRO Service Manager.
Figure 14 - EtaPRO Service Manager
- Stop the EtaPRO Data Interface service using the EtaPRO Data Interface Service Manager. When service has stopped, close the EtaPRO Data Interface Service Manager.
Figure 15 - EtaPRO Data Interface Service Manager
- Confirm all EtaPRO-related services are stopped using the Windows Service Manager
Figure 16 - Services
- Uninstall the EtaPRO Client, EtaPRO Server, and EtaPRO Data Interface.
Figure 17 - Programs and Features
- Confirm that all EtaPRO services have been removed by reviewing the Windows Services (Figure 16)
- If you encounter any error messages or are unable to uninstall EtaPRO Server, Client, or Data Interfaces, please contact EtaPRO Support immediately for assistance.
REMINDER: EtaPRO 10.4 requires a new Product Key. Please contact GP Strategies for a new license key (email@example.com or 716.799.1077) before beginning the upgrade process.
Download the latest server and client software from the EtaPRO Support site (http://etaprosupport.com).
Start the installation of the EtaPRO Server and its prerequisites by double-clicking the EtaPRO_Server_Setup.exe or EtaPRO Server.msi file located in your downloaded EtaPRO Server installation files directory.
Figure 18 - EtaPRO Installation Files
Follow the prompts to install the software, and accept the User License Agreement to proceed when prompted. Be sure to choose the same installation directory as the previous version.
Figure 19 - EtaPRO 10.4 Server Setup
Figure 20 - License Agreement
Figure 21 - Destination Folder
Figure 22 - Install
Figure 23 - Install in Progress
Figure 24 - Install Complete
If the EtaPRO Data Interface installation is not completed with the EtaPRO Server installation, or if the EtaPRO Data Interface must be upgraded on a separate computer, follow these steps.
Double-click the installation file to launch the setup wizard (Figure 25) and follow the prompts. Remember to install the interface in the same directory as the previous version.
Figure 25 - EtaPRO Data Interface Setup Wizard
Figure 26 - License Agreement
Figure 27 - Custom Interface Selection
Figure 28 - EtaPRO Data Interface Install
Figure 29 - EtaPRO Data Interface Install Progress
Figure 30 - Setup Wizard Complete
Double-click the installation file to launch the setup wizard (Figure 31) and follow the prompts. Remember to install the EtaPRO Client in the same directory as the previous version.
Figure 31 - EtaPRO Client Setup Wizard
Figure 32 - EtaPRO Client License Agreement
Figure 33 - Destination Folder
Figure 34 - Ready to Install
Figure 35 - Installing
Figure 36 - Install Completed
- After an upgrade from 10.3.x.x or earlier, when the EtaPRO 10.4 Service Manager is launched for the first time, you will be prompted to enter a new Product Key. New Product Keys are not required for 10.4.x.x to 10.4.x.x upgrades unless you are activating new features such as APR.
A Product Key provided for a previous version of EtaPRO will not work. You should obtain a new Product Key from EtaPRO Support before beginning your upgrade.
Figure 37 - Configuration Settings Registration Tab
- Enter the EtaPRO 10.4 Product key and click "Activate". If your EtaPRO Server is connected to the Internet, you should see the following:
Figure 38 - License Validation Successful
If activation is not successful, contact EtaPRO Support or follow the instructions for Manual Product Activation.
- Review the Miscellaneous Tab to confirm that all historian settings, communications, and directory paths are the same as under previous EtaPRO versions.
Figure 39 - Miscellaneous Tab
- Review the Databases tab to confirm that all databases and SQL connection information is correct.
- If your EtaPRO system includes Advanced Pattern Recognition, you will need to create a new Issue Tracking databases following these steps. This procedure is for a locally installed SQL Server instance (EtaPRO and SQL on the same computer). If your EtaPRO system connects to a remote SQL Server instance, you will need to download and attach and link a blank Issue Tracking database from the EtaPRO Support website at https://etaprosupport.com. Contact EtaPRO Support for instructions.
A. On the Assets tab, click the Refresh Databases button next to "Select an Issue Tracking Database" drop-down menu. Then, select "Create new Issue Tracking Database" from the drop-down menu.
Figure 40 - Create an Issue Tracking Database
B. Name the new database and given it an appropriate file path
Figure 41 - Create an Issue Tracking Database
C. Click "Create"
Figure 42 - Create an Issue Tracking Database
D. If the process to create a new Issue Tracking database was unsuccessful, please contact EtaPRO Support for assistance.
- From the Miscelleanous tab, click the Upgrade Databases button to manually upgrade your databases before starting EtaPRO Services.
Figure 43 - Manual Database Upgrade
- Enter the EtaPRO-used, dbo level SQL account information (the same credentials as used by the EtaPRO Server Service Manager) and click "Connect"
Figure 44 - Enter SQL Username and Password
- Select "Upgrade Selected Databases"
Figure 45 - Database Upgrade in Progress
Database Upgrades should complete in a reasonable amount of time. Upgrades may take longer if you are upgrading from an earlier EtaPRO version (10.2 or older)
Figure 46 - Database Upgrade Complete
If the EtaPRO services or EtaPRO Data Interface are required to run under a specific "Log On As" account, change it before starting the EtaPRO services.
Figure 47 - Services
- Launch the EtaPRO Service Manager (if you have just completed the previous step, click OK on the Configuration Settings form. If you receive an error or pop-up message when attempting to close this form, please contact EtaPRO Support.
Figure 48 - EtaPRO 10.4 Service Manager
- Select Auto-start services and click "Start All Services". Then click the Start All Services button.
Figure 49 - EtaPRO 10.4 Service Manager with Services Started
- When you see the "Started and initialized successfully!" message in the activity log window, you may connect your EtaPRO Client.
- You may observe that the Data Interface Service has been added to this tool. A new service called EPArchive Service has also been introduced with EtaPRO 10.4.
Start the EtaPRO Client from the Start menu. If you are using EtaPRO Authentication, please enter your username and password.
Check the Quality Alarm screen for any new alarms and confirm that all popup and asset trends are functional, VirtualPlant models are converging, etc., as described in the Pre-shutdown/Pre-uninstall Checklist. These are steps recommended by EtaPRO Support to complete before and after any upgrade.
Click Configuration Tools|Online VirtualPlant Models to display the VirtualPlant Models dialog and then click the Status tab. Confirm that all VirtualPlant models are still converging (see Figure 11).
View several Concerns Viewer trends, if installed (see Figure 12). Make sure asset trend data is available and that the asset trends continue to update.
Click Configuration Tools|Error Log to display the Error Log Report dialog. Enable all the Component checkboxes. Change the Starting On and Ending On dates so that the previous 24 hours are displayed in the report. Click Select All to choose all the Selected Entry Types. Click Generate Report to review any potential post-upgrade errors. Report any observed issues or errors to GP Strategies (firstname.lastname@example.org or 716.799.1077). Include a pdf copy of the error report.
Reset the EtaPRO Database Backup task, if necessary, to include the new Issue Tracking database. Refer to the Scheduling EtaPRO 10x Backup Tasks (http://issues.etapro.com/default.asp?W17) article for instructions on using the EtaPRO Database Backup Utility. If you are using EPArchive to storing historical data, make sure that the backup procedure is updated to backup the EPArchive files in addition to the database files. This should be done even if the database backups are not being scheduled using the EtaPRO database backup utility.
We love to talk to our customers and we like to help you avoid pitfalls, so if you are unclear about any procedures outlined in this document, please contact EtaPRO Support at email@example.com or 716-799-1077 before proceeding with the upgrade.